Writing 5 or First-year Seminar Switch
Welcome to the Dartmouth Institute for Writing and Rhetoric Winter 2014 web page with advice for students who want to switch between sections of Winter 2014 Writing 5 or between Winter 2014 First-year Seminar courses.
The Institute for Writing and Rhetoric strongly discourages switching writing courses after Wednesday, January 8th in Winter 2014 term. Even missing the first class meeting of a writing course can put a student at a disadvantage, and missing more than the first class meeting really can make things difficult for a student.
If you want to switch between sections of Winter 2014 Writing 5 or between Winter 2014 First-year Seminar courses:
#1. FIRST check the Registrar's website online timetable listings to see if there is space open in the course you want to switch into:
- Go to: http://oracle-www.dartmouth.edu/dart/groucho/timetable.main
- Click on "Subject Area(s)" search.
- Click on "Selected Terms" and choose "Winter Term 2014",
- For Writing 5, click on "Selected Subjects" and click the checkbox next to "Writing Program (WRIT)", then click the "Search for Courses" button at the bottom of the page.
- For First-year Seminar, click on "Selected Subjects" and click the checkbox next to "First-year Seminars (FYS)", then click the "Search for Courses" button at the bottom of the page.
- In the resulting list of courses, if the column labeled "Enrl" (Enrollment) is a number less than the column labeled "Lim" (Enrollment Limit), then there is space in the course. These numbers are updated in real time so they do accurately reflect the current situation.
# 2. IF there is SPACE AVAILABLE in a course you want to switch into:
If there is space available, you can now switch yourself from one course into another course that has space available ONLINE in BannerStudent as long as it is during one of the two following periods:
- Wednesday, November 13 to Thursday, November 21. This is the course adjustment period after course election but before classes start.
- Monday, January 6 through Sunday, January 12. This is the regular drop-add period for Winter 2014 term during the first week of classes. After Sunday, January 12 you need instructor permission to switch courses.
You do not need to go in person to the registrar's office to accomplish the switch. It can be done online in BannerStudent. There must be space available in the course you want to switch into.
#3. If there is NO SPACE AVAILABLE in a course you want to switch into:
- You should make sure you are enrolled in a Writing 5 or First-year Seminar course that is a viable backup option, because there is no guarantee that you will succeed in switching courses.
- You should attend the writing course you are currently enrolled in, and do the work for the class, because there is no guarantee that you will succeed in switching writing courses.
- You should also continue to check for yourself to see if a space has opened up in the course you want. If you see an open space, you can switch yourself into it online (see # 2 above for details).
- The Institute for Writing and Rhetoric NEVER allows enrollment above the limit in a Writing 5 or First-year Seminar course. We do not maintain waiting lists. Open slots are first-come, first-served.
Also, if no space is available, please fill out the Winter 2014 Writing 5 switch survey or the Winter 2014 First-year Seminar switch survey (links to the surveys are at the bottom of this page).
- This switch survey is meant to be a tool to help students find a person to switch with, but it is NOT a guarantee that we will be able to help you switch courses.
- By entering the information in this survey, you are agreeing to give us permission to reveal contact information to another student if they have a matching desire to switch courses, in order to facilitate the two of you contacting each other.
- If someone else fills out the survey who wants to switch courses with you, we will contact the pair of you by email, and you can coordinate with each other to accomplish the switch as soon as possible after you hear from us.
- If you don't hear from us, we have not identified a match for you yet.
- If you need to send us a message canceling your switch request, please use the notes section in Question 5 of the survey.
The switch survey site will open on Wednesday, November 13 and will close on Wednesday, January 8th.
We will check the switch survey periodically during the course changes period 11/13 - 11/21 and during the first days of Winter 2013 classes 1/6 - 1/8.
We will email people who match up on a first-come first-served basis.